Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pre-20th C. Period Pieces

I have watched a lot of movies about dysfunctional families lately. James and the Giant Peach, Birds of America (which is sadly not based on any of the Lori Moore short stories), and Winter Passing.

Also The Buccaneers, but only sort of. That one is so funny to me. It is based on a novel written by my boo, Edith Wharton. And while I do love pre-20th century period pieces, this particular novel was never finished by Wharton. It was finished in 1993 by a scholar who studied her notes closely. Then (or possibly concurrently) it was made into a TV miniseries for BBC one and Masterpiece Theater. They HAVE DIFFERENT ENDINGS because Wharton didn't finish either. That seems preposterous to me that a publishing house would print something under the name of Edith Wharton that was not in fact totally written by her and also that the BBC would make a miniseries based on this book that is only sort of by Wharton as well.

Ok, let me finish The Last Tycoon. Don't worry, guys, I've read Fitzgerald's notes really closely and I think I know what he had in mind.

UPDATE: I have finished The Buccaneers. HOLY COW I am just itching to know what Wharton wrote and what some giddy scriptwriter wrote. There was a homo husband and lots of weeping and running away. People were shunned and some dude had a heart attack after picking up a clump of mud? It was bizarre. The gay bit was the best bit. There were some furtive glances earlier in the movie. Whose devised those??

No comments: